Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Renewed Spirit within Me


A couple of things have happened in the past few weeks. The first: Ben took my car in for an oil change. Well, Ben listens to the Catholic radio station 1450 AM. I had never really found anything interesting on this station, but the next morning I decided to listen to it as I drove to work. I listened for the entire hour long drive to work. They were taking people's calls and answering their questions. Not only did I listen to that station that morning, but that afternoon as well and then for an entire week after that. Then, after hearing all of these stories of people making things happen in the Catholic faith, I started to wonder how I could make things happen in our church.

The second thing that happened:
For some time now, I have been thinking about finding my biological father and introducing him to Ben and eventually to the boys. Well, I found a guy on Facebook with the same last name and decided to contact him and see if maybe he had any connections. Turns out he doesn't, but he is the older brother to a girl I was friends with in high school. We became Facebook friends and I started to see his posts daily. Everyday he posts a piece of scripture. I was inspired by this and began looking forward to his daily posts.
One day, he asked if anyone had a spare laptop to borrow so that he could share his story and inspire others to see God's light. Instantly, I knew that this was a task God was setting before me. I looked on Craigslist and several store websites before deciding on one. Then I presented Ben with the idea and the laptop. He gave the okay, we bought the laptop and I set up a time to meet him the next day. So, I met him in the parking lot of a Walgreens. He began to talk and he talked and he talked and before either of us knew it, I had been crouching in heels for almost an hour. He has fought addictions and endured many tribulations but has come home. He cannot absorb God's word fast enough and this totally inspired me.

So, it seems as if God has 'turned up' the flame on the passion for Him in my heart over the last few weeks. I've started becoming so hungry for His word and teachings that I can't even concentrate at work.

One of the people on 1450 AM that inspired me was a woman who has written many books on her Catholic faith geared towards women, mothers, wives - just like me (except Catholic, of course). And I thought. . . I want a resource like that. I want someplace that I can go and read about the particular saints and readings of the day. Well, thanks to my FANTASTIC! husband, I have that resource, on our church's very own website. Ben has a calendar that sits on the front page that has the saint(s) and reading for the day. Then I thought, why not be a beacon and share this with those who read my Facebook page. Why doesn't the church have a Facebook page? A means of communication with those we know that can't always be at church whether they've moved or because of schedules or just because that is the way the communicate - those that are Ben and I's age and younger. (Ben also thinks that if we start the bible study with the college students, the Facebook page will serve as a communication page to interact with them daily.) Also, it's a fantastic way to get noticed by people looking for the faith.

So, each evening, I post the saint(s) of the day link from Ben's site. Each night I spend a few minutes sharing my faith, our church's faith with the people who view our page. Right now, that number is much closer to 1 than 70 times 7 but soon, with prayer, it will grow and so will we.

Thus, concludes my first post.

No comments:

Post a Comment